Before cutting into my real fabric I decided to make a muslin of the top of the dress to make sure that it fit correctly. I am very glad that I did. (Since the bottom is gathered I didn't feel like it was necessary to make a muslin of the whole dress.)
For those of you who don't know what a muslin is it is a preliminary trial run of your pattern with really cheap fabric to get out any kinks before you cut into your expensive fabric. It is almost essential for anything fitted and I would definitly recommend it if you are using expensive fabric. It has saved me before.
Instead of making a facing for my muslin I cut off 5/8" where the seam allowance would be turned under.
After sewing it together according to the patterns instructions I tried it on and started marking away with a pen so I don't forget everything that needs to be done.
Here are all of the changes that I need to make:
-take in the band 1/2" on both sides
-add 2 1/2" to the modesty of the neckline
-lengthen the bodice part by 1"
-put small dart in the armhole to keep the armhole from winging out.
OK, I think that is it. Hopefully the real one with fit like a glove because I took the time to do all of this.