11.18.2010

New Series : I Could Make That

A new series that we are starting here on presserfoot is called I Could Make That. If you are like me, when I shop I am always looking at items, especially expensive ones, and trying to figure out how I could recreate it myself for much less. The pattern companies are getting better and better at creating stylish patterns and so I am going to help bring the two together. With I Could Make That we will show you the ready to wear version and then what pattern, and fabric you could use to recreate it yourself.

So, here it is, our first I Could Make That post:

Milly metallic lace shift dress ($400)

Burda Pattern Wedding Dress $5.40

Solid Gold Lace Fabric from Fashion Fabrics $5.75 / yd

What do you guys think? A steal when you compare it to the $400 version. Would you wear it? Would you make it? Just wondering. If you know of any other I Could Make That ideas please send them along.

15 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I always feel like there are things I could be making rather than buying, but I do get hung up on where to start. This will be so helpful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea for a series! I think the same thing every time I walk into a store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! i will be following this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This new series is brilliant! I'll be doing loads of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. I'm still trying to figure out where to get better fabrics than I can find at my local JoAnn's. And this is pretty much my mantra. I walk into Anthro, look at the tag, and say, "I could make this!" haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally think the same every time I enter a store or go online. The problem is that my to-do list gets longer and longer. I like the idea of this series

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I really look forward to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! Love this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes....good thing I'm asking for a serger this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome! love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous18.11.10

    I agree--great idea...http://icansewthat.wordpress.com/

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would definitely make that AND wear that, but probably sub the gold lace out for black lace with black lining. Love this idea, though, and will definitely be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great idea for a series! I actually do that sort of thing a LOT, and I have my 15 year old doing the same thing. Crazy fun! One of my favorite clothing "eye candy" sites is Anthropologie, who has amazingly simple and cute clothes at insane prices. Our constant mantra is Oh MAN...that is so cute but I could make that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea for a series!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3.12.10

    I am with you all the way. I have just bought a slew of Vogue & McCall's patterns because I have seen something in a store and said "I could make that".
    I will definitely be following this.

    ReplyDelete