First of all thank you to Rae for featuring me and my tops over at Made by Rae yesterday. And on that note don't forget to enter your spring top into her contest. Last day is tomorrow.
I also finished my 6th version of Simplicity 2599. This time I decided to lengthen the top to make a dress. I used version F of the pattern to add the gathered waistline. Otherwise I just lengthened the bottom and added some ruffles to the neckline.
Here are some of photos/instructions for what I did to the neckline:
I first cut the neckline into a v neck instead of the higher scoop neck. I also added length to the pattern and an inches of width on either side after the waistline.
Then I cut out two large circles where the inside circle was about 27 inches in circumference. The ruffles are then about 5 inches wide. (there are two of these)
I sewed the two ruffle separate circles together at one end in a french seam.
I pinned and sewed (at 1/4") the ruffles to the neckline with the right side of the ruffle to the wrong side of the dress. The french seam should be at center back.
I then flipped the ruffle to the front of the dress and pressed it.
Pin the rest of the ruffle down the front middle of the dress until the waistline.
Pin and stitch the ruffle down the middle of the dress.
Next I topstiched around the neckline and down ruffles on the center of the dress.
Lastly I finished the edges of the ruffles. I wish I had a rolled hem foot, but I don't so I had to do it the old fashioned way. I hope you have a rolled hem foot because it was not fun.