9.10.2009

OLD THINGS MADE NEW: Memory Quilt from Old Clothes

Almost two years ago my husband's younger brother died unexpectedly. As we were trying to put together our thoughts and emotions, as well as a funeral, a neighbor asked my mother-in-law for some of Stephen's clothes for a quilt. What do you do with someone's things after they are gone? So, after my husband took a few t-shirts for sentiment my mother-in-law rounded up an old dress shirt and tie, his painting pants, college sweatshirt,camping plaid flannel, and snow boarding beanie and give it to the neighbor. A few months later, with the help of some of the youth at the local church, the neighbor presented this:No, it's not a technical quilt. And yes, it could be done a million different ways. But, can't you feel the spirit of it? As a family we cherish this quilt because it was made with love and because it is so Stephen. And a quilt like this doesn't have to follow death, it can follow a graduation, a growth spurt, a birthday, the last kid, or time to leave home. Fabric can be more than fabric. It can be memories.

Got a great idea for making old things new? Email us at dearpresserfoot@gmail.com. Share the love.

5 comments:

  1. Did you use jeans?? We've decided not to have anymore kids, so instead of getting rid of all of their baby clothes I want to make them into a quilt. I'm new to quilting, so I'm not sure how i want to do it ... maybe a log cabin quilt?? Any input would be great! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that....."fabric can be more than fabric. it can be memories." i'm going to do that same kind of thing for my husband with all his softball jerseys and tournament shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeans were used in the quilt and I would suggest doing larger block squares if you are using a heavy material, other wise go as small and detailed as you like. I think a log cabin quilt would work great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful neighbor and sweet tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just spent the last 30 minutes browsing your blog. Man, you and your sister have got some talent. I want to become a sewer...I'm just so intimidated you might have to help me get over this fear.

    ReplyDelete