11.12.2009

Box Pouch Tutorial by Eva


After my first pouch I got to thinking it would be fun to kick it up from a "box pouch" to a "cube pouch" So I did a little experimenting and turned out this 5x5x5 inch cube.



To make a pouch this size, cut your pieces 11"x11" rather than 8"x6" and when you pinch in the corners, make the seam 5" long and 2.5" from the point rather than 2" long an 1" from the point. (but that's not really what this post is about)

I did a few things differently the second time around. Some out of necessity and some to accommodate personal preference.
The first change was the inner lining. I have at times kept a supply of pelon on hand for use in various projects. Right now though, I'm fresh out. I do, however, have some random flannel in my stash.

The chances of me using this sewing themed purple flannel for anything else are rather slim so pouch lining it became.
For my big 5 inch cube I doubled up on flannel to give it some extra stability. A smaller pouch would do fine with a single layer of flannel as inner lining.

Here's the personal preference part. Raw seams make my eyeballs bleed.
In this instance, rational thought tells me that pinking is a perfectly sufficient method to finish seams, but I don't own a pair of pinking shears (also I'm hardly ever rational when it comes to finish work) What I do have is a serger.
So, after layering my fabric, just as outlined in the tutorial (interior right side down, interfacing, exterior right side up)


I serged around all four sides of both pieces.


This meant I could skip step 3 from the tutorial because my layers were already stuck together.
If you're not a raw edge hater like me, but you're having trouble keeping your layers lined up and neat as you sew, spend an extra minute on step three and stitch all the way around your pieces with your regular machine.
I also serged off the excess fabric at the corners so there are nothing but neatly serged edges inside.

To be completely honest I'm not all too fond of serged edges either. I keep fighting off the urge to cut coordinating bias and bind up all interior seams or oufit each pouch with a turned lining. Either of those options would make the inside of my pouches a thing of beauty and both would be complete overkill. As long as I'm being honest here, the serging is probably even over complicating things, but I gotta be me.

Want to know what I'm going to do with my cube pouch?
I'll tell you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment